[Haskell-cafe] Re: Allowing hyphens in identifiers

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Dec 16 06:45:20 EST 2009

Jon Fairbairn <jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> As one of the early Haskellers, I definitely preferred
> underscores, because my intuition told me that it was closer in
> appearance to normal English¹ text,

> [1] and quite a high proportion of other natural languages.

Which makes me wonder - might there be a (natural) language bias as
well?  I'm sure most English-speaking people would have noticed that
German tends to contain huge words from contracting adjectives and nouns
that in English would be separate.  (Cf. Daniel's example
Anlagenmechanikermeister - it almost makes me wish for Germans to adopt
camel-casing and making it AnlagenMechanikerMeister.  In English, I
guess it would be 'factory lead mechanic' or some such.)

-k