[Haskell-cafe] Hack on the Delve core, with Delve and Haskell

Jason Dagit dagit at codersbase.com
Tue Aug 11 10:31:38 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:57 AM, spoon <spoon at killersmurf.com> wrote:

> Delve is a new programming language intended to bring the benefits of
> static type checking and functional programming to object-oriented
> design and development.   It is an impure, eager language (Yes I can
> hear the groans of woe and cries for sanity already!)

Nice.  Sounds like a fun project.  If I had more spare cycles I would try to
help.

> Currently Delve supports:
>
> Higher-order functions/first class functions
> Anonymous functions
> Lexical closures
> First class continuations
> Tail-call optimization
> A meta-object model (classes are objects)
> S-Expression based syntax.
> Embedded Haskell expressions within Delve.

Could you create a comparison of Delve to other (potentially) similar
languages?  For example, how is Delve similar/dissimilar to Clojure and
Scala?

> Delve is released under the terms of the GNU GPLv3.

Note intended as a criticism of the GPL or your decision to use it, but does
this impact people's ability to use the Delve standard libraries in their
own non-GPL projects?

Good luck!
Jason