[Haskell-cafe] Re: GHC: compile using multiple cores?

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 11:51:47 EDT 2009

> Not with cabal, with GHC, yes: assuming you have enough modules. Use ghc
> -M to dump a makefile, and then make -j20 (or whatever you have)

There is a performance penalty to running ghc on separate files vs
--make. If your number of core's is limited --make may be better. I'd
love someone to figure out what the cross over point is :-)

As a related question, how does GHC implement -j3? For my programs, if
I want to run in parallel, I have to type +RTS -N3. Can I use the same
trick as GHC?

Thanks

Neil