[Haskell-cafe] System.Process

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Sep 30 11:48:48 EDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:14:38AM +0200, Ketil Malde wrote:
> "Svein Ove Aas" <svein.ove at aas.no> writes:
> > All programs want argument arrays, not un-split lines, and if you
> > don't have the shell split it you'll have to do it yourself. words
> > works fine.
>
> ...as long as the words don't contain quotes, or wildcard/globbing
> characters, or $, ! and probably other things I can't think of right
> now?

Actually, it's no problem having any of those characters in your
arguments, it's just that they'll be passed literally (which may or
may not be what your user wants--sometimes it's really convenient to
avoid multiple layers of escapes).  The one constraint that using
words makes is that it doesn't allow you to specify arguments that
contain a space.

David