[Haskell-cafe] Climbing up the shootout...

Manlio Perillo manlio_perillo at libero.it
Mon Sep 22 05:46:55 EDT 2008

Don Stewart ha scritto:
> Thanks to those guys who've submitted parallel programs to the language
> benchmarks game, we're climbing up the rankings, now in 3rd, and ahead
> of C :)

This is cheating, IMHO.
Some test comparisons are unfair.

The first problem is with the thread-ring benchmark.
Haskell uses the "concurrent Haskell" extension, but all other programs
(with some exceptions) uses OS threads.
This is unfair, as an example a C program can make use of the GNU
threads library, for user space threads), but there is no such program.

If I remove the thread-ring bench, then Haskell goes sixth, after Java
and OCaml.

With parallel programs it is the same: other languages does not have a
parallel version.

 > [...]

Manlio Perillo