[Haskell-cafe] synchronous channels in STM

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 11:36:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 1:50 AM, roger peppe <rogpeppe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Ryan Ingram <ryani.spam at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't think what you want is possible if both sides are in STM.
> > Other authors have posted solutions where one side or the other of the
> > transaction is in I/O, but wholly inside STM it's not possible.
>
> Thanks, that's what I thought, although I wasn't sure of it, being
> new to both Haskell and STM.
>
> Presumably this result means that it's not possible to implement
> any bounded-buffer-type interface within (rather than on top of) STM.
>
> Isn't that a rather serious restriction?

I don't know that it's practically-speaking that serious.  One can write it
in IO, using STM.  I think of CSP as I/O anyway, but perhaps my thinking is
flawed and dirty from MPI and Erlang "message passing" :-).

Then again, I'm not sure why keeping it in STM is even valuable really.  IO
gets the job done right?