[Haskell-cafe] Re: How to use Unicode strings?

Mauricio briqueabraque at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 22 16:32:35 EST 2008

> Please advise how to write Unicode string, so this example would work:
>
> main = do
>   putStrLn "Les signes orthographiques inclus les accents (aigus, grâve,
> circonflexe), le tréma, l'apostrophe, la cédille, le trait d'union et la
> majuscule."
 > (...)

Besides the Haskell stuff, you probably want to
check if your terminal outputs utf-8.

I use a nice X terminal named 'mlterm'. It's main
goal is to support unicode. But I don't know enough
to tell you how to check your terminal, or even
if just changing to mlterm will always work.

Sometimes, I wonder why distributions don't just
agree on considering support for anything but utf-8
a bug (except in 'iconv', of course). Well, there's
probably someone out there who would have problems
with that, and I don't want problems for anyone.
But I hope their problems would be worst than mine
trying to deal with different encodings.

Best,
Maurício