[Haskell-cafe] cabal install HaXml installs wrong version unless I specify the version number

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 06:02:12 EST 2008

I was upgrading happstutorial.com to ghc 6.10.1 when I came across a
cabal install issue.

Somewhere in day 1 (probably as a HAppS dependency), HaXml 1.13.1 got installed.

On day 2, I wanted the latest version of HaXml (1.19.4), a dependency
for for xml-parsec.

cabal install HaXml gave me: already installed.
cabal upgrade HaXml gave me: some installing action, but in the end I
wound up with 1.13.1 again.

cabal install HaXml-1.19.4 gave me what I want, the latest version.

But even then, when I do cabal install xml-parsec I get

Text/ParserCombinators/Parsec/XML.hs:18:7:
    Could not find module `Text.XML.HaXml.Posn':
      it is a member of package HaXml-1.19.4, which is hidden

The cabal file has

Build-Depends:  base, parsec, HaXml

>ghc-pkg latest HaXml says
HaXml-1.19.4

Even after ghc-pkg hide HaXml-1.13.3

I get the same result, so I'm not even sure if the problems I'm having
are a result of the having two versions of the same package installed.

This is a bug right?

Any advice on how to get xml-parsec installed?

thomas.