[Haskell-cafe] What *not* to use Haskell for

Robert Greayer robgreayer at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 10:09:20 EST 2008

--- On Tue, 11/11/08, Dave Tapley <dukedave at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I should clarify I'm not a troll and do "see
> the Haskell light". But
> one thing I can never answer when preaching to others is
> "what does
> Haskell not do well?"

'Hard' real-time applications?  I don't know that there couldn't be a 'real-time friendly' Haskell, but for some applications, the unpredictability (however slight) of when, for example, garbage collection happens, or how long it takes, is unacceptable. (Even the unpredictability of heap allocation/deallocation a la malloc/free is unacceptable for some real time apps).  Haskell is in the same boat here with lots of other languages, of course.