[Haskell-cafe] Re: Poll: Do you need to be able to build darcs from source on GHC 6.6?

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sun Nov 2 15:25:47 EST 2008

Juliusz Chroboczek <Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr> wrote:

> No.  That was just a way of pointing out that other revision control
> systems do not have such complex build dependencies.

*cough*
% export USE="doc gtk iconv perl subversion bash-completion cgi curl cvs
emacs mozsha1 ppcsha1 threads tk vim-syntax webdav xinetd"
% emerge git --emptytree -p |wc -l
381

% export USE="-doc gtk iconv perl subversion bash-completion cgi curl
cvs emacs mozsha1 ppcsha1 threads tk vim-syntax webdav xinetd"
% emerge git --emptytree -p |wc -l
329

% export USE="-doc -gtk -iconv -perl -subversion -bash-completion -cgi
-curl -cvs -emacs -mozsha1 -ppcsha1 -threads -tk -vim-syntax -webdav
-xinetd" emerge git --emptytree -p |wc -l
% emerge git --emptytree -p |wc -l
57

% USE=doc emerge darcs --emptytree -p | wc -l
329

(that's mostly because stuff like latex pulls the whole of x11 and gtk
with my current settings... I can't be arsed to figure all of that
out right now)

% USE=-doc emerge darcs --emptytree -p | wc -l
79

Now you can say that "A severely crippled version of git has less source
dependencies", but don't ever claim that the build dependencies are
less _complex_. 17 package-specific use flags are rather extreme.