[Haskell-cafe] Re: Examples of using Haskell for mathematics

Jose A. Ortega Ruiz jao at gnu.org
Wed May 28 05:33:36 EDT 2008

"Brent Yorgey" <byorgey at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> In a couple weeks I will be giving a short (15-min.) talk to an
> audience of mostly mathematicians, entitled "Executable Mathematics: A
> Whirlwind Introduction to Haskell". The idea will be to give a flavor
> of Haskell, its uniquenesses, and why it is a great language for
> playing around with mathematics, by way of some well-chosen examples.
> There are definitely plenty of such examples out there, and I've
> already found quite a few that I might use, but I thought I would send
> an email to the cafe to ask whether anyone has any code which you
> think particularly exemplifies some aspect of why Haskell is a great
> language for mathematics. I'm looking to include a wide range of
> examples, so any length (from a few to hundreds of lines of code) and
> any level (from simple number theory to things only a few people in
> the world understand) are fair game.

I've enjoyed immensely several entries in Dan Piponi's 'A Neighborhood of
Infinity'. In particular, 'Infinitesimal rotations and Lie algebras':

<http://sigfpe.blogspot.com/2008/04/infinitesimal-rotations-and-lie.html>

made me decide once and for all that i want to grok Haskell.

HTH,
jao
--
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain