[Haskell-cafe] GHC API GSoc project (was: ANN: Haddock version 2.1.0)

Chaddaï Fouché chaddai.fouche at gmail.com
Wed May 14 20:12:10 EDT 2008

2008/5/15 Claus Reinke <claus.reinke at talk21.com>:
>  Feel free to CC me or the ticket with things like that.  I'll be
>  IMHO, trying to support a semantics- and comment-preserving
>  roundtrip in (pretty . parse) would be a good way to start (David
>  says he's going to look at the extracting comments/pragmas part,
>  but they still need to be put back in during pretty printing). It sounds
>  simple, and if it is, it will enable a lot more usage of the GHC API;
>  and if it turns out not to be simple, you'll have a first sign of what
>  you're up against, and can adjust your expectations!-)
>
>  I also hope you are in touch with Chaddaï - the port of HaRe
>  to the GHC API did not make it as a GSoC project, but I
>  understand he is going to do some work in this direction
>  anyway.
>
>  - http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/1886
>    (GHC API should preserve and provide access to comments)

Well not in touch until now, I was waiting a little bit to see in
which direction this project is going to evolve. There's plenty of
interesting improvement that one could bring to GHC API. For my
project of course, I'm very interested in the preserving comment part.
I intended to make it independantly, like Haddock do now, but if the
GHC API was to get native support for it, it would be great (for all
kind of others applications too).

I'll keep in touch.

--
Chaddaï