[Haskell-cafe] SoC project: Python-Haskell bridge - request for feedback

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Mon Mar 24 18:45:10 EDT 2008

westondan:
> Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> >Hello Michal,
> >
> >Monday, March 24, 2008, 11:38:07 PM, you wrote:
> >
> >>Python-Haskell bridge
> >
> >seems interesting
>
> This is indeed interesting for those (like me) wanting to introduce
> Haskell stealthily into a Python-based facility: essentially, leave the
> IO monad in Python but invoke non-IO Haskell functions.

Yes, exactly. The Haskell risk is mitigated, and you can use it exactly
as you wish, for strongly typed, purely functionaly, robust components
held together with Python glue.

And then its easier to sneak Haskell into an existing python toolchain.

> >>Benefits for Haskell
> >
> >you forget about ability to use Python as scripting language inside
> >Haskell programs. look at HsLua library as example of this
>
> This is much less interesting for those (like me) who, once in Haskell,
> don't feel the least inclined to go back to Python. Missing libraries in
> Haskell (for my applications) are usually also missing in Python and
> need FFI to some (usually numeric) library written in C/C++ anyway. Why
> do data marshalling twice?

Agreed. There are some libraries we don't have (pygments is one).

-- Don