[Haskell-cafe] Re: Fwd: installing happy 1.17

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jun 7 18:07:00 EDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 14:46 -0700, Thomas Hartman wrote:
> great, sudo cabal install from inside 1.17 distribution dir now seems
> to do the right thing.
>
> however, after it's done installing (apparently without error) the
> happy version is still 1.16 and the happy executable is from 2006.
>
> This means that I still can't install other packages that rely on happy >=1.17
>
> sudo cabal install haskell-src-exts
> Resolving dependencies...
> 'haskell-src-exts-0.3.4' is cached.
> Configuring haskell-src-exts-0.3.4...
> cabal: happy version >=1.17 is required but the version found at
> /usr/bin/happy is version 1.16

At the moment by default cabal-install installs binaries to ~/.cabal/bin
which isn't on the $PATH unless you deliberately change your $PATH.

The reason we don't put things directly into ~/bin/ is because some
people worry about cabal-install "clobbering" programs that the user
already had in ~/bin/. One idea for resolving this is:

http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/289

We'd very much appreciate feedback on what the right thing to do is and
if the above spec is ok for someone to implement it.

Duncan