[Haskell-cafe] ghc 6.8.2 issue

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 3 05:11:06 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 00:04 -0500, Galchin, Vasili wrote:
> Duncan,
>
>      By installing localling, I "runhaskell Setup.hs configure
> --prefix=$HOME" plus add local path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH and
> LD_RUN_PATH? On Linux, does ghc use .so's or is it linked statically?

ghc is linked statically but when you do things like runhaskell Setup.hs
you're asking ghc to dynamically load packages. runhaskell/runghc is
basically a form of ghci, and ghci does dynamic code loading. If you've
broken some of the packages that ghci loads and runs code from then
you'll run into problems, mysterious segfaults and the like.

As I understand it, in the next version of ghc it will track the ABI of
each package so we would be able to detect when people replace packages
with ones with the same version but with a different ABI (as you've been
doing) and refuse to link or run in those cases rather than running and
ending up with segfaults.

Duncan