[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Gtk2hs-users] ANN: Gtk2Hs 0.9.13 released

Peter Gavin pgavin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:41:26 EDT 2008

Peter Hercek wrote:
> Thanks for the package.
> I experienced some bugs with it on windows. When showing a dynamically
>   built context menu, I'm getting errors like these:
>
> _cairo_win32_surface_show_glyphs(ExtTextOutW failed): The operation completed successfully.
> _flush_glyphs: The operation completed successfully.
>
> ... and the text of some menu items is not shown (otherwise the menu
>   items do work - actions are called when they are clicked).
>
> When I try to run the app under ghci I get error like this:

> C:/tools/Gtk2Hs/HSglib.o)
> ghc.exe: panic! (the 'impossible' happened)
>    (GHC version 6.8.3 for i386-unknown-mingw32):
>          loadObj: failed
> Please report this as a GHC bug:  http://www.haskell.org/ghc/reportabug
>
> Using older Gtk (2.10.13) helps for the first one.
> Using my own compile of Gtk2Hs (I compiled older version 0.9.12.1
>   myself) helps for the second one.
>
> Peter.

Hi Peter,

The first problem looks like a problem in cairo.  I'm pretty sure the
functions named are cairo internal API, you may want to report a bug to
their list.  I suppose it's possible those functions always print the
error message (even on success), but behave correctly otherwise.

It looks like the second problem is a GHC bug, since there isn't
anything special about our library (that I can think of) that might
cause that to happen.

Pete