[Haskell-cafe] Compiling GHC 6.8.3 on OS X with readline support

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Mon Jul 7 08:17:49 EDT 2008

Hey all,

When compiling GHC 6.8.3 on OS X, I ended up with a GHCi without
readline support. That makes interacting quite hard, especially
because the Backspace-key didn't even work. With some help on irc from
Baughn and by reading a blog post from Paul Brown, I managed to get
readline working after all.

After installing readline from fink, I had to pass the following
options to configure:

./configure --with-readline-includes=/sw/include/readline --with-
readline-libraries=/sw/lib

After that make and sudo make install worked just fine, and I had
readline again! I wrote this down in case anybody else has had the
same problems.

-chris