[Haskell-cafe] database 101 question

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Jul 3 01:19:25 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Galchin, Vasili wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
>     I know where to look but I am knew to database architecture. I know
> there is a driver (whatever that is ... I write device drivers but this is
> obviously different), backend ??? My question is more generic about what
> pieces I would need for evenr sqlite3 for example.

As far as I understand you need either Takusen, HSQL or HDBC for database
access. Additionally you need some of the driver packages for the
corresponding main package. Due to package dependencies it should be
enough to
    cabal install hsql-sqlite3
   or
    cabal install HDBC-sqlite3

With these packages you have to write your queries in SQL. If you want a
nice monadic interface you may
    cabal install haskelldb-hdbc-sqlite3
   or
    cabal install haskelldb-hsql-sqlite3