[Haskell-cafe] anybody can tell me the pronuncation of "haskell"?

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 12:32:04 EST 2008

On 1/29/08, jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
<jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr> wrote:
> Oh, people!
> I try hard to degenerate this discussion into a pure delirium traemens, and
> you still keep its serious intellectual contents intact! I bet that you
> don't even smile, writing your terrible off-topic postings!

Damn, I was trying to be wacky and off-topic too. I guess I must have
failed at that goal. Time to start talking about applicative functors
as used to explain how to use monad comprehensions to compile Perl
into Unlambda, I guess.

> If you wish so...
> Tim, there cannot be any USUAL CONVENTION, unless you are conditioned by
> your anglo-saxon keyboard.

I don't know what you mean by this exactly. I assume that your first
name is not meant to be pronounced like the name of the isle of
Jersey, even though that's what it looks like to me (an ignorant
American). So if we met, I would try to pronounce it the way you said
it. That's the "convention" that I see as applying.

> There is no truly established way to translate non-standard diacritics.
> Even without, there are pronunciation variants, look how many versions
> of "Mustapha" names there are in the world. Try to transmit my family
> name to a Japanese, using Katakana (which, being syllabic, gives you many
> choices...)
> The information world today is far from a purely oral tradition. I think
> that the only sane attitude is just let people distort everything as they
> wish, and don't get nervous. Those distortions are unavoidable, languages
> are evolving creatures.

True, but this is more to do with text rather than speech.

> ... And a good part of English has been established by those Francophone
> Vikings who won the battle of Hastings in 1066, beginning their campaign
> from where I usually live and work.
> ... Not forgetting that before them there were Danish Vikings, coming from
> the place where I sit now...

Indo-European turtles all the way down.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"The geeks shall inherit the earth." -- Karl Lehenbauer