[Haskell-cafe] Haskell maximum stack depth

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Jan 29 02:00:49 EST 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Jonathan Cast wrote:

> Or, to put it another way, the bugs Java's stack overflow is designed
> to catch are considered good style in Haskell.

I consider explicit recursion in Haskell as bad style. One should use
higher order functions like 'map', 'fold', 'filter' and so on whereever
possible. Even if one needs explicit recursion one should separate the
traversal through a data structure from the particular operation applied
to the elements.