[Haskell-cafe] hxt memory useage

Ketil Malde ketil+haskell at ii.uib.no
Fri Jan 25 07:57:38 EST 2008

  :
> Is this a known issue?

Yes.  I parse what I suppose are rather large XML files (the largest
so far is 26GB), and ended up replacing HXT code with TagSoup.  I also
needed to use concurrency[1].  XML parsing is still slow, typically
consuming 90% of the CPU time, but at least it works without blowing
the heap.

While I haven't tried HaXML, there is IMO a market opportunity for a
fast and small XML library, and I'd happily trade away features like
namespace support or arrows interfaces for that.

-k

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/haskell-cafe@haskell.org/msg31862.html