[Haskell-cafe] Re: announcing darcs 2.0.0pre3

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 10:26:51 EST 2008

David Roundy wrote:
> We are happy to announce the third prerelease version of darcs 2! Darcs 2
> features numerous improvements, and it seems that we have fixed most of the
> regressions, so we're looking for help, from users willing to try this
> release out. Read below, to see how you can benefit from this new release,
> and how you can help us to make the final darcs 2 release the best ever!
>
> The third prerelease features (apart from numerous bug and performance
> regression fixes) a completely rewritten rollback command and new
> progress-reporting functionality. If darcs takes more than a couple of
> seconds for a given operation and provides you with no feedback as to what
> it's up to, let us know, so we can fine-tune the progress-reporting output!

The progress reporting is fantastic!  It's worth upgrading to darcs2 just
for that :-)  Although the progress reporting doesn't appear to work quite
as well on darcs-1 repositories as it does on darcs-2 repositories - is
that expected?

There are still times when I see nothing happening, for example in the
unpull test on the GHC repo (see previous messages), the last progress
message I get is

Reading patches in /64playpen/simonmar/ghc-darcs2 17040

and it sits there for 7-8 seconds before completing.  Does this maybe shed
any light on why this unpull is 2 times slower than darcs1?

Cheers,
	Simon