[Haskell-cafe] Re: viewing HS files in Firefox

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Thu Jan 10 10:45:27 EST 2008

Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> > My problem is when viewing plain darcs repositories (like mine on
> > darcs.johantibell.com which I recently fixed with the above mime
> > type hack.)
>
> Please complain to your browser('s authors): most browsers only
> provide *one* way to view a given mime-type, which is stupid.  It's
> not specific to .hs files.
>
> They could at least provide a way to override the provided mime-type,
> so you can say "display this application/octet-stream file as
> a text/plain".  Similarly they should allow you to choose (via
> a context-menu, for example) to open a pdf file in the pdf plugin or
> in a separate application.

Konqueror offers:

- mime default actions
- opening path/index.html if pointed to path/ or path when operating
  locally
- for any hyperlink:
  - save link as
  - open with        <--
  - preview with     <--

...as it does offer copy, move, open with and preview with for any file
in directory mode. Kpdf and likewise also nicely integrate their own
buttons into the toolbar, replacing the khtmlpart zoom ones and so on.

Vastly underestimated this thing is.

signature prohibited.