[Haskell-cafe] Re: Tim Sweeney (the gamer)

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 07:15:10 EST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 11:51 AM, Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de> wrote:
> "Nick Rolfe" <nickrolfe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > http://morpheus.cs.ucdavis.edu/papers/sweeny.pdf
> >
> > He refers to Haskell and its strengths (and some of its weaknesses)
> > quite a bit.
> >
> > For those who don't know him, Tim Sweeney is the main programmer
> > behind Epic Games's popular Unreal Engine. When he talks, many game
> > developers will listen.
> >
> We will dream, most likely.
>
> > Perhaps more importantly, anything he does
> > will affect a large number of game developers.
> >
> Dreaming of pointy-haired bosses listening to him, that is.

I think he meant in the sense that the unreal engine has *lots* of
licensees. If UnrealScript 4 is a Haskell-like language with lenient
evaluation and limited dependent typing, etc., then that's what a
large number of game developers will use in their day-to-day work.

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+44(0)7857-300802