[Haskell-cafe] GHC on LLVM (was Re: ANN / CFP - LLVM bindings for Haskell)

Jules Bean jules at jellybean.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 12:46:12 EST 2008

Ryan Dickie wrote:
> Maybe I am asking an uninformed n00b question but how come GHC has
> fvia-C and are also working on an asm backend. Is there any reason why
> they could not build off the work of LLVM (which supports various
> architectures) then ditch those two backends and call it a day?

You are not the first to think of it, and surely not the last!

Whilst it's a very interesting idea, I believe there are reasons why it
may not solve all our problems:

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-December/011794.html

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2006-December/011795.html

and others in that thread.