[Haskell-cafe] A hell of a question

Jason Dusek jason.dusek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 20:14:28 EST 2008

Andrzej Jaworski <himself at poczta.nom.pl> wrote:
> First let me disassociate Haskell from Taoism which to may
> taste has left us in an unhealthy climate.  It suffices to say
> that Taoism is a school of clever trics and cute aphorisms but
> without the slightest attempt to explain or generalize let
> alone produce an abstract idea or a system. That is why its
> wisdom is non transferable in spite of majority of humans
> desending from it.

  Taoist religion in China is very much a popular religion,
  closely associated with festivals, weddings and magic tricks.
  As a popular religion, Taoism is indeed deeply compromised;
  but then again, so is Zen in Japan, Christianity in Europe and
  indeed, most popular religions in the place where they became
  popular.

  As a philosophy, Taoism is more concerned with doubt than
  knowledge; with humility than pride of understanding; of
  course it makes litte "attempt to explain or generalize".
  An essential notion in Taoism is that signs and symbols do not
  communicate the truth -- to appreciate Taoist practice, you
  must engage in the practice of Taoism for a spell. Thus it is
  in practical arts -- Chinese medicine, Taiji, strategy -- that
  one comes to appreciate the Way and its Power.

--
Jason Dusek