Fwd: [Haskell-cafe] Haskell as a religion

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Dec 18 19:15:31 EST 2008

Alberto G. Corona schrieb:
> But many features need other features. For example, the option to use
> referential transparency will be common in future languages for
> multicore programming purposes.  This creates the problem of separating
> side-effect-free code from side-effect code.

In C/C++ referential transparent functions code can be declared by
appending a 'const' to the prototype, right?

> I think that once the average programmer start to use one or two of
> these features, he will feel a bit frustrated if its language don´t have
> all the others, specially if he know haskell. Probably, he will use
> haskell for fun. This is the best way for the takeover of the industry,
> because this has been so historically.

Extrapolating the habit of programmers from the past to the future, I
predict that Haskell can only become a mainstream language once there is
a cleaner, simpler, safer and more powerful programming language than
Haskell.