[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sun Aug 31 12:28:26 EDT 2008

On 2008 Aug 31, at 12:01, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2008, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>> On 2008 Aug 31, at 11:20, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>>> Where do the filehandle structures live in the latter case?
>>
>> The place you clearly think so little of that you need to ask:
>> process-global (or process-local depending on how you think about
>> it) storage.  And everything in that storage must have locking.

You'll have to look at specific implementations.  One that I can think
of off the top of my head is Perl 5's "ithreads"; there is a
distinguished allocation store which is global to all ithreads, and
the interpreter instance gives you primitives for locking and mutexing
(see "use threads::shared;").

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu