[Haskell-cafe] Compiler's bane

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 05:52:58 EDT 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:
> Right. So if I have, say, the factorial function defined using the Y
> combinator, there's no way to stop the interpretter expanding an infinite
> number of copies of Y, even though in theory the factorial function should
> terminate?

Well, this is exactly what ghci is doing; you just have to choose an
evaluation order that makes sense.

Lets consider a simple translation for recursive lets:
> let x = exp1 in exp2
(where x may be free in exp1 and/or exp2)

Here's a simple translation into lambda-calculus:
> (\x. exp2) (y (\x. exp1))

(Of course, this representation for let can lose sharing; without
knowing what you have or your goals I don't know if you care).

Now, you just have to choose a y-combinator that makes sense for your
evaluation order.  If you do normal-order evaluation like Haskell
("non-strict"), this Y should work for you:

y = \f. (\x. f (x x)) (\x. f (x x))

> Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with that one. Maybe I can make the
> binding to expand user-selectable or something...

Now, if you are eagerly-expanding the entire expression, trying to get
to head normal form, then any expression that ends up with "y" in it
won't terminate.  But if you use normal form evaluation order, then if
a normal form exists, you will find it and terminate.

So evaluating "fact" to normal form won't terminate, but evaluating
"fact 5" should.

  -- ryan