[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Top Level <-

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sat Aug 30 08:37:37 EDT 2008

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Ashley Yakeley wrote:

> Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
>> This seems fine to me. It's based on something that already does work
>> properly across a process scope,
>
> But you agree that IORefs define a concept of "process scope"?

I'm not sure that they *define* process scope, because it might be safe to
use them across multiple processes; it depends on OS-dependent properties.
But they exist *at least* at process scope.

>> instead of some new language feature that is actually hard to implement
>> across the process scope.
>
> If we have a concept of "process scope", how is it hard to implement?

Because memory allocation is already implemented, and not in a
Haskell-dependent way. If two completely separate Haskell libraries are
present in the same process, linked together by a C program, they don't
even know about each others existence. But they still don't share memory
space.

Ganesh