[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Speed Myth

Isaac Gouy igouy2 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 13:39:27 EDT 2008

> dons:

> (Where I note GHC is currently in second place, though we've not
> submitted any parallel programs yet).

We might call that the thread-ring effect :-)

> Also CC'd Isaac, Mr. Shootout. Isaac, is the quad core shootout
> open for business? Should we rally the troops?

iirc there was some discussion after the last GHC release about
cleaning up the programs to make them less low-level given the improved
capabilities of the compiler - I don't think that ever happened, and
"low level" seems to be a common complaint against the Haskell programs
shown in the benchmarks game.

As Simon Peyton-Jones suggested we're certainly open for suggestions:

http://groups.google.com/group/fa.haskell/browse_thread/thread/7eb82c689de8688/4f3c47b976394666?lnk=st&q=alioth+shootout#4f3c47b976394666

However, we're operating new measurement scripts on both u64q
(published) and gp4 (unpublished), and my focus is still on catching up
to where we were with measurements from the old scripts, and installing
third-party libraries on u64q.