[Haskell-cafe] Re: multi-core programming in Haskell

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sun Aug 24 18:47:53 EDT 2008

Galchin, Vasili wrote:
> Thank you Murray. My post was not so clear .... I was referring to
> "automatic" parellelization vs "manual" parallelization. By "automatic" I
> mean the programmer doesn't have to indicate where to parallelize ...
> instead the compiler decides how to parallize!

Not on the horizon, it's too difficult. The best effort I know of
automatically introduces par to the code /after running/ the program a few
times (with the same given input data). There was some paper somewhere
describing the idea and what the results were (IIRC, they achieved a
respectable speedup in cases where there was enough potential for
parallelization). Note this is /not/ something a compiler could do.

Cheers
Ben