[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Propeganda

C.M.Brown cmb21 at kent.ac.uk
Sat Aug 23 17:29:19 EDT 2008

> I guess I didn't express my point very clearly... That C programmers
> apparently don't realise that a type system that's sound will give
> them something -- i.e. their programmer won't ever segfault.  I wonder
> when we try to advertise Haskell if we should be saying "we can give
> you programs that never segfault", instead of "we have a strong type
> system".

I'm sure this point is already made somewhere. But I certainly agree that
it's a useful point to make to C programmers who are interested in
Haskell.

I wonder whether seg faults are the true analogue to errors such as
"error: head empty list." or pattern match errors.

Not that I'm saying we should be encouraging such errors in our Haskell programs.

Chris.