[Haskell-cafe] ANN: wavconvert 0.1.1

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 20:49:55 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I uploaded to Hackage a little program I wrote to organize my music
file collection in the hopes that someone else might find it useful
too:

http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/wavconvert

I had a directory tree full of .wav files that I ripped from CDs at
times when I didn't want to wait for an .mp3 or .ogg encoder to run.
The trouble is that .wav files don't have metadata (ID3 tags) that
specify artist, album and track names. So, wavconvert takes a
directory tree as an argument, and converts any .wav files in it to
.ogg (using an external OGG encoder) while filling in the ID3 tags
based on the directory names.

The name is a bit misleading, since this is not an OGG encoder written
in Haskell; it just handles invoking an existing encoder with the
right flags to set the metadata.

I'd welcome any patches to make this more generally useful (as it is,
it assumes a particular file structure and OGG encoder.)

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc * Often in error, never in doubt
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm