[Haskell-cafe] What's in a name?

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sat Aug 16 01:25:13 EDT 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Andrew Coppin wrote:

> Henning Thielemann wrote:
>>
>> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hierarchical_module_names
>

> Right. So if for some reason two people both developed a hashtable
> implementation (say), we would end up with two modules both called
> Data.Hashtable, but (hopefully) the packages themselves would be called
> james-hashtable and chris-hashtable (or something).
>
> Now both packages can be installed at once, but when I say "import
> Data.Hashtable", GHC has no way to know which one I mean. That doesn't sound
> too clever to me...

Although it is possible to hide packages by GHC options, we should not do
this, because several libraries might use different Hash tables and it
would not be possible to write a program which uses many of these
libraries. It's better to add a distinguishing part to the module name,
like Data.HashTable.Coppin or so.