[Haskell-cafe] Re: whatever happened to sendFile?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Aug 14 00:26:18 EDT 2008

On 14 Aug 2008, at 10:47 am, John Meacham wrote:
> There isn't a standard unix sendfile, while a few different ones have
> functions called 'sendfile', they have different meanings/prototypes
> in
> general.

For example, I'm typing this on an Intel Mac running Mac OS 10.5.4,
and 'man sendfile' shows
      sendfile -- send a file to a socket
and claims that it is checked runtime error if the destination is
anything but a socket.

It looks as though file -> socket is the only moderately portable
case, and of course systems without can fake it by a sequence of
reads and writes.