[Haskell-cafe] Cyclic Inclusions

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Aug 13 05:10:38 EDT 2008

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Thomas Davie wrote:

> On 13 Aug 2008, at 05:06, ajb at spamcop.net wrote:
>
>> Quoting Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Why is separate compilation important?
>>
>> I'm a little shocked that anyone on this list should have to ask this
>> question.  Two people have asked it now.
>
> Really?  So you're using YHC then?  It after all compiles *much* faster than
> GHC, but produces slower binaries.  To be honest, ghc compiles things so fast
> (at least on any of my systems) that I couldn't care less if it took 10 times
> as long (I would however like some added convenience for that time spent)

It's the ubiquitous "computers are fast enough today" argument. I don't
buy it. We don't have compile time to waste. There will always be
computers that are much slower and have less memory than the current
customer desktop computers, there are always tasks that a computer can do
instead of doing slowed down compilation. I'm glad that we have overcome
C's way of concatening all header files together before starting
compilation.