[Haskell-cafe] two problems with Data.Binary and Data.ByteString

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Tue Aug 12 21:28:44 EDT 2008

> You might have to force the last value of the alist that the map gets
> flattened into, since otherwise there's no guarantee that it will be
> read.
>
> You really, really want to be using rnf for this job, instead of
> turning your brain into a pretzel shape.

*nod* that's my eventual goal but I'd like to make sure I understand
what is going on here first and rule out any bugs before I go using
some class I'm not that familiar with.

I'm starting to wonder if this isn't an issue with
Data.ByteString.Lazy.Char8.{read,write}File.  I am now printing
out the data entirely:

     d <- decode <$> B.readFile stateFile
     print d

and I still get the same error when I go to writeFile later.
There should be no data items in any of my structures that
the print statement does not force.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/