[Haskell-cafe] Re: Recommended Haskell Books

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 00:12:31 EDT 2008

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:29:46 -0700, "Warren Aldred" <warren at live.com>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm new to Haskell and looking for recommendations on introductory Haskell
>books.  Online or offline.  Any suggestions?

Another suggestion is _The Haskell Road to Logic, Maths, and
Programming,_ by Kees Doets and Jan van Eijck (see
http://fldit-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~peter/PS07/HR.pdf).  This book
assumes very little mathematical background, is written in a "literate
programming" style, and is very easy to follow.

In general, I would recommend focusing on the books, and not too much
on most of the tutorials.  Some other readers have said that many
Haskell tutorials try to cover too many topics in too short a
tutorial, and wind up not discussing the material adequately.  Haskell
has a very sharp learning curve, and it is essential to cover the
basics adequately before diving into deeper material.  I would
recommend taking the time to digest the material fully without
rushing.

-- Benjamin L. Russell