[darcs-users] [Haskell-cafe] Re: poll: how can we help you contribute to darcs?

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Sun Aug 3 12:07:10 EDT 2008

On Aug 03, 2008, at 3:36 pm, David Bremner wrote:

> I think this view is probably coloured by your background in web
> development. I have used git for about a year now, and never visited
> GitHub.  I'm not saying you have to like git, but it does have other
> features other than a snazzy web site.

Hi David

I think I gave the wrong impression there.  After all, I use darcs
despite it not having a snazzy website!  What I mean is that git usage
has snowballed since GitHub was released, so people are clearly
attracted to the website first, and the SCM second.  It's a bit like
the way Rails created thousands of Ruby programmers by association,
many of them with no idea what Ruby was all about, just a vague notion
that Rails could solve their problem.

Ultimately my point is I think that MercurialHub or BazaarHub
(BazaarBazaar?) would have been as successful.

> I do agree that adoption of development tools is driven by network
> effects.  When I chose a DVCS to learn, I only wanted to learn one, so
> I chose the one that seemed like it had the most momentum. The rich
> get richer...

I tend to very stubbornly work the other way... choose the tool I
think works best with very little regard for its momentum, unless of
course it clearly has none.  Hence my love of darcs and recent
interest in Haskell.  (I'll figure it out, one day!)

> Maybe the answer is to work on Darcs-git :-)

Well that's been looked at before... unfortunately it's been abandoned
now.

There's also discussion on darcs-users that a Haskell implementation
of Git would finally settle the "Haskell is too slow" debate.  Now I
think if the world is going to use git, a better implementation would
be a good thing (I know a developer who got VERY frustrated trying to
program against it).  Personally I think the developer time would be
better invested in fixing darcs bugs and improving its performance.

Ashley

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://aviewfromafar.net/