[Haskell-cafe] question about GHC and Unicode

Daniel Gee zefria at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 15:26:20 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> GHC supports unicode internally, and String and Char are all unicode.
>
> To do unicode IO however, you need to use the utf8-string package:
>
>    http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/utf8-string
>
> Just import and use IO functions from System.IO.UTF8, and that's it!

crap... I was hoping for a switch or something.

The program is supposed to be an interpreter that includes unicode IO
support, and I wanted to use readline or editline or similar for it.
Is there any library you know of that would have that kind of an
ability while still using unicode? Between readline and unicode,
unicode is the more important, but a readline ability would still be
very nice.