[Haskell-cafe] announce: Glome.hs-0.3 (Haskell raytracer)

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 12:42:46 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 14:34 -0700, David Roundy wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 02:09:28PM -0700, Jim Snow wrote:
> > On a particular scene with one instance of the single-threaded renderer
> > running, it takes about 19 seconds to render an image.  With two
> > instances running, they each take about 23 seconds.  This is on an
> > Athlon-64 3800+ dual core, with 512kB of L2 cache per core.  So, it
> > seems my memory really is slowing things down noticeably.
>
> This doesn't mean there's no hope, it just means that you'll need to be
> extra-clever if you're to get a speedup that is close to optimal.  The key
> to overcoming memory bandwidth issues is to think about cache use and
> figure out how to improve it.  For instance, O(N^3) matrix multiplication
> can be done in close to O(N^2) time provided it's memory-limited, by
> blocking memory accesses so that you access less memory at once.
>
> In the case of ray-tracing I've little idea where or how you could improve
> memory access patterns, but this is what you should be thinking about (if
> you want to optimize this code).  Of course, improving overall scaling is
> best (e.g. avoiding using lists if you need random access).  Next I'd ask
> if there are more efficent or compact data structures that you could be
> using.  If your program uses less memory, a greater fraction of that memory
> will fit into cache.  Switching to stricter data structures and turning on
> -funbox-strict-fields (or whatever it's called) may help localize your
> memory access.  Even better if you could manage to use unboxed arrays, so
> that your memory accesses really would be localized (assuming that you
> actually do have localize memory-access patterns).
>
> Of course, also ask yourself how much memory your program is using in
> total.  If it's not much more than 512kB, for instance, we may have
> misdiagnosed your problem.

Ingo Wald's work on interactive coherent raytracing springs to mind.
http://www.sci.utah.edu/~wald/Publications/

"Interactive Rendering with Coherent Raytracing"
http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/~wald/Publications/EG2001_IRCRT/InteractiveRenderingWithCoherentRayTracing.pdf
is a decent, if dated, introduction.  He clearly has much more newer stuff as well.