[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: Generic Haskell 1.80 (Emerald)

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Wed Apr 23 09:40:16 EDT 2008

Thomas van Noort wrote:
> As you already noticed, there is no Windows binary available for the
> Emerald release. However, there is one for the Coral release, available
> from:
>
> http://www.generic-haskell.org
>
> Although this is an old release of Generic Haskell, this release already
> supports generic types, which is what you need for your project
> probably. In the user's guide, there is a small example available which
> defines a generic type to represent tries.

Thanks, but this won't register itself as a package with current ghc,
and even I fixed that problem I guess it probably still wouldn't
work :-(

It's entirely up to you folks of course. I don't know if anyone at GHHQ
cares enought to do anything about the buildability problem. But if not
I'm afraid I can't see this being used or accepted as part of standard
Haskell infrastructure. It'll just be something people look at, admire
the coolness, maybe even tinker with for a while, but never really use
for anything serious.

Meanwhile I think the GSoC project I mentioned will have to make other
arrangements :-)

To be honest though, I'm not sure we'd use it anyway as I understand
it generates essentially pure H98 and there are ghc extensions we'd
probably want to use for performance reasons (like unboxed Ints and
unboxed tuples).

Regards
--
Adrian Hey