[Haskell-cafe] looking for examples of non-full Functional Dependencies

Martin Sulzmann martin.sulzmann at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 06:44:09 EDT 2008

I now recall the reason for NOT using

D a b, D [a] c ==> c = [b]

The reason is that the above rule
creates a new critical pair with

instance D a b => D [a] [b]

To resolve the critical pair we need yet another rule

D a b, D [[a]] c ==> c =[[b]]

You can already see where this leads to.

In general, we need an infinite rules of the form

D a b, D [a]^k c ==> c = [b]^k

where

 [a]^k stands for the k nested list [ ... [a] ... ]

The FD-CHR approach therefore proposes to use

D [a] c ==> c = [b]

which is a "stronger" rule (that is, is not a logical consequence).

Martin