[Haskell-cafe] Announce: bytestring 0.9.1.0

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Apr 21 06:18:59 EDT 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 05:07:48PM -0700, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:

> The use of bytestring inside GHC is limited only to a little bit in the
> GHCi modules -- and could easily be replaced, I suspect. Doing so would
> remove one dependency from GHC's core, as well as making it easier to
> upgrade bytestring versions. Ian, have you looked at this?

I'd certainly be happy for bytestring to be removed from the bootlibs.
When I last looked this was pretty easy to do. The only reason it's
still in bootlibs at the moment is that you and/or Duncan were talking
about rewriting some of the IO library on top of it, but if that happens
in the future then we can always put it back into bootlibs again.

Thanks
Ian