[Haskell-cafe] Parallel weirdness

Murray Gross mgross21 at verizon.net
Sat Apr 19 11:53:03 EDT 2008

I can't offer definite answers to your questions, but I can suggest a few
issues you should consider:

1. Merge sort doesn't parallelize all that well--when the blocks are
small, the parallelization overhead is large in comparison with the
productive work that is to be done, and when the blocks get large, the
amount of parallelization possible is not great. Quicksort and
quickersort, of course, suffer from the same issue. The end result is that
your timings will be heavily dependent on your hardware, software, and the
properties of the particular data set you use for testing.

2. You need to account for I/O buffering (not only by your OP system in
RAM, but by your disk controller)--after the first set of I/O operations,
your data may be in buffers, so subsequent uses may retrieve data from
buffers rather than from the disk itself. Similarly, you also have to take
into account paging and cache issues, which could make the first run much
slower than immediate subsequent runs.

3. A better benchmark would be provided by a counting sort, which does
parallelize well (O(n * (n/k), where k is the number of processors, and n
is the number of elements to be sorted). A major advantage of using a
counting sort for benchmarking is that it runs slowly enough to make it
relatively easy to compare sequential and parallel timings.

4. Depending on your system defaults, there may also be memory allocation
issues that need to be taken into account (which could also easily cause
the first run to be considerably slower than subsequent runs made
immediately after the first).

Murray Gross
Brooklyn College