[Haskell-cafe] C++ interface with Haskell

Miguel Lordelo miguellordelo at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 12:41:20 EDT 2008

Well Isaac...I became now a little bit smarter then yesterday!!!

I show you the example that I found and on which I´m working with.

File: foo.hs
module Foo where

foreign export ccall foo :: Int -> IO Int

foo :: Int -> IO Int
foo n = return (length (f n))

f :: Int -> [Int]
f 0 = []
f n = n:(f (n-1))

To get the C wrapper you insert the following command:
ghc -ffi -fvia-C -C foo.hs

After execution you will have these following additional files:

foo.hc
foo.hi
foo_stub.c
foo_stub.h
foo_stub.o

What I did next was to create a file named: myfoo_c.c, where I will call the
foo function (implemented in Haskell).
(you can see this example on
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/ffi-ghc.html )
But the problem is to compile with gcc (must I put any flag or whatever set
something)

The gcc output is:
myfoo_c.c:2:19: error: HsFFI.h: No such file or directory

I downloaded this header file from: (I know that is not the correct way, but
it was the only idea that occurs at the moment)
http://www.koders.com/c/fidD0593B84C41CA71319BB079EFD0A2C80211C9337.aspx

I compiled again and the following return error appears:
myfoo_c.c:(.text+0x1c): undefined reference to `hs_init'
myfoo_c.c:(.text+0x31): undefined reference to `foo'
myfoo_c.c:(.text+0x50): undefined reference to `hs_exit'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

These functions are necessary to setup GHC runtime (see:
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/ffi-ghc.html )

What I want to know is how to compile myfoo_c.c?! Is it with GCC or GHC?!

Chears,
Miguel Lordelo.