[Haskell-cafe] looking for examples of non-full Functional Dependencies

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Apr 16 11:14:46 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 04:30:27PM +0200, Tom Schrijvers wrote:
> I'm looking for practical examples of non-full functional dependencies
> and would be grateful if anyone could show me some or point to
> applications using them.
>
> A non-full functional dependency is one involves only part of the
> parameters of a type class. E.g.
>
> 	class C a b c | a -> b
>
> has a non-full functional dependency a -> b which does not involve c.

hackageDB has a substantial sample of code these days, which is handy
for questions like this.  There are examples of non-full FDs in the
following packages:

	ArrayRef-0.1.2
	arrows-0.4
	OpenAFP-1.0
	parsec-3.0.0
	StrategyLib-4.0.0.0
	Yampa-0.9.2.1

However for most of these there are indirect dependencies.  The only
exceptions I can find are those in ArrayRef, parsec and StrategyLib.

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:06:07PM +0200, Martin Sulzmann wrote:
> We're also looking for (practical) examples of "multi-range" functional
> dependencies
>
> class C a b c | c -> a b

Look in

	BerkeleyDB-0.3