[Haskell-cafe] Hackage being too strict?

John Goerzen jgoerzen at complete.org
Tue Apr 15 23:15:29 EDT 2008

When I went to make my upload of MissingH 1.0.1, Hackage rejected it,
saying:

Instead of 'ghc-options: -XPatternSignatures' use 'extensions: PatternSignatures'

It hadn't rejected MissingH 1.0.0, even though it had the same thing.

Now, my .cabal file has this:

 -- Hack because ghc-6.6 and the Cabal the comes with ghc-6.8.1
 -- does not understand the PatternSignatures extension.
 -- The Cabal that comes with ghc-6.8.2 does understand it, so
 -- this hack can be dropped if we require Cabal-Version: >=1.2.3
 If impl(ghc >= 6.8)
   GHC-Options: -XPatternSignatures

which was contributed by Duncan Coutts.

It seems arbitrary that Hackage would suddenly reject this valid
usage.

Thoughts?