[Haskell-cafe] ghc

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Apr 10 18:50:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:27:12PM +0200, Cetin Sert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is GHC required to be installed on the target OS I compile Haskell binaries
> for in order for these binaries to run? I need a quick answer on that!
Because you need a quick answer I will give you an incomplete one:

No, of course not. Depends on architecture though.
You need some runtime dependencies (libraries such readline )..
using ghc-pkg describe you can find them (or readelf should list them as
well) You need ghc if your applicattions use the ghc library.
Running x86 on x86_64 won't work (although you can bootstrap ghc itself
using C-files only, But I've never tried
this.. There is -f-viaC as well. )

Marc